n a past newsletter, we announced that Benson Stone Company is a representative of cast stone produced by Continental Cast Stone Mfg., Inc.
We would like to give you a brief explanation of the manufacturing process and options available regarding a specific group of products called select stone.
Select stone units are modular. The modular sizes allow for creativity of design and cost efficiency.
- Cement, color, sand and water are mixed. A zero slump mix design (a dry mix that has just enough moisture in it to activate the cement) is used.
- The mix goes into a mold and is tamped using a vibrant dry tamp process. Once tamped, the top is leveled and the mold is removed. then the piece is ready to go into the curing room.
- In the curing room, temperature is controlled by an under-the-floor radiant heating system. Carbonated steam from a direct-fired steam generator accelerates the curing process. Within 12 to 24 hours, the pieces are hardened to 3,500 psi.
- Pieces are washed and stacked on pallets, ready for shipment to the job site.
- After the full curing time of 28 days, the product reaches its ultimate strength of 6,000 psi.